Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I, Too.


I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.
They send me to eat in the kitchen
When company comes,
But I laugh,
And eat well,
And grow strong.

Tomorrow,
I'll be at the table
When company comes.
Nobody'll dare
Say to me,
"Eat in the kitchen,"
Then.

Besides,
They'll see how beautiful I am
And be ashamed--

I, too, am America. 

Analysis

Allusion

The allusion in this poem is "tomorrow". The poet is not literally referring to tomorrow as in the day after today, but tomorrow as in the further future.

Figurative Language

Sight:  "I'll be at the table when company comes." "I am the darker brother."
Hear: "But I laugh" "Say to meeat in the kitchen,"

Tone 

Confident/Self-assured: The tone is confident/self-assured because the author takes pride in himself and feels he too deserves the rights of anyone else, for he too is "America".

Theme

The theme in this poem is to never settle less but strive for better.

Interpretation

Our interpretation of this poem is an inspirational message is conveyed in the poem. We are all human no matter our skin color and this poem reminds us of that.

    

1 comment:

  1. Hello,
    I found a YouTube channel with an emotional interpretation of Langston Hughes' poem, Negro.
    https://youtu.be/qVYGXSsG100

    ReplyDelete