Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cross

My old man's a white old man
And my old mother's black.
If ever I cursed my white old man
I take my curses back.
If ever I cursed my black old mother
And wished she were in hell,
I'm sorry for that evil wish
And now I wish her well
My old man died in a fine big house.
My ma died in a shack.
I wonder were I'm going to die,
Being neither white nor black?




Analysis


Allusion


The poet refers to the place "hell" commonly discussed in religion. 




Figurative Language


Sight: "a white old man" "my old mother's black" "fine big house" "shack"  "white nor black?"
Hear: "curses"


Tone


Skeptical : The tone can be skeptical because the poet questions were he will die stating, "I wonder were I'm going to die, being neither white nor black?" rather both.


Subjective: The tone can also be subjective because he gives a biased aurora in favor of his mother.


Theme


The theme of the poem is your race should not define who you are or the lifestyle you live.


Interpretation


Our interpretation of the poem "Cross" is that your race should not affect your style of living and habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment